- Took third place in the SGT class and first place in the RS200, RS150, and Rodian 200 classes
- Achievement was made possible by the outstanding performance of SsangYong Motor…s SUVs, full support, and team members… strongdetermination to win Company is planning to continually provide active support to promote motor sports in Korea
The SsangYong Typhoon Racing Team, which is officially sponsored by SsangYong Motor (CEO and President Hyung-Tak Choi;www.smotor.com), reinforced its leadership position among domestic RV/SUV racing teams by sweeping the top rankings in all pro-class categories of the 2008 NEXEN RV Championship, which consisted of a total of six tournaments.
According to the comprehensive, final scores for 2008 announced by HASF (Korea Auto Sports Festival), the host of the event, race car driver Dong-ho Lee took third place for the SGT class, while race car drivers Gang-won Lee, Seung-yong Yoon, and Seon-ho Lee took first place for the RS200, RS150, and Rodian 200 class, respectively.
SsangYong Motor has been officially sponsoring the SsangYong Typhoon Racing Team to further develop and promote SUV/RV racing tournaments since 2007. The team is a professional SUV racing team consisting of 16 members. Through the 2008 NEXEN RV Championship, the team has strongly established itself as Korea…s leading SUV/RV racing team.
Geun-Tak Kim, Managing Director of Marketing at SsangYong Motor revealed the company…s future plans by saying, ¨The outcome of this racing season was made possible by a combination of various factors, including the outstanding performance of SsangYong Motor…s SUVs, the company…s efforts to promote motor sports, and the team members… strong determination to win. The company will continue to contribute to the promotion of motor sports, based on the outstanding results of the 2008 season, and provide active support to develop the strongest SUV/RV team ever.〃
* What is the Nexen RV Championship?
This is the only SUV/RV championship in Korea, which is celebrating its third anniversary this year after being launched in September 2006. Its vision is to create a new automobile culture based on great passion for the development of the automobile culture and a spirit of research. This year…s season consisted of a total of six tournaments, with the first tournament being held in March 2008.
- SGT: Vehicles with a horsepower of 270 or less
- RS200: Vehicles with a horsepower of 200 or less
- RS150: Vehicles with a horsepower of 150 or less